Weekend Morning just played Charlie Major and is now playing Prairie Oyster, both staples on CKCL around the time I was working at Vi-Tech. Funny, I was just thinking yesterday that I miss my wardrobe from that time period. I had so many turtlenecks and warm fleece sweaters because that shop was COLD.
Of course, thinking about Truro as usual leads me to missing Mom and Dad, and my childhood / teen years. Mom waking me up school mornings, putting up with my cranky morningness, making stupid familiar jokes about the "cheeky square", usually there being batches of fresh doughnuts and other baking, often with a random uncle or two there for coffee. Later I'd get up and dad would be flipping the doughnuts while mom did something else, mostly so she'd finish earlier and play cards with him. As much as I remember them bickering, they were very much always company for each other.
That dinky little kitchen, with the ugly peacock-blue topped table with the metal legs, and the hutch thing that dad made, back when he did occasional carpentry. I had amazingly cool parents -- of course one rarely appreciates this until too late. Both were skilled with their hands, business-smart, would have easily slid into hippie-ness (except for the whole 'voting conservative' thing).
Anyway, sad thoughts from an old orphan, but good memories.
RIP Phyllis Lillian Grace (Morris) Boyce (93) & William Ernest Boyce (01)
No comments:
Post a Comment