24.10.09

Cicada, Big Game Hunt and Broken Ohms

Lovely evening. Met Tyler for a drink at Rogue's first... haven't seen him in... hm... over a year. Since before I left Clean NS I think. I'd forgotten how well we get along. I vented, he vented, we kvetched. It was great to catch up.

At about 8, he left to go the HPX show at the church and I remembered there was a good looking line up at a new venue within walking distance of home! Only $7 cover, and no cab... I decide to head to Sound Market's Cafe A. Got there in time for most of the second band's set (missed the first act). During the set, I got a wee tour of the place from Sonia, got to see the Ghost of FM merchandise production room (which totally makes me want to design tshirts. Lots of em.) Later, snooped around in the studio with Another Nut (dammit... real name... um... Phil?? I may be making that up) while Robe explained a little this & that and then kicked us out.

Cicada were good... loud, screamy, punchy, lots of energy. I was distracted by fella with the faux hawk looking like Faron from Immedia-C and then trying to remember Faron's name (seriously). Cute drummers (one hand drummer, which was unusual for a metal band and interesting).

Night of the Hot Drummers carried on with Big Game Hunt. AWESOME sound, singer has a gravelly, bluesy thing going on, sounds a bit Eric Burdon-ish... kind of reminded me of Virgil Muir for really no good reason. Drummer was, as above noted, hot, and also funny, entertaining. I have to find some libido killers to take before going out though. When his shirt came off I found myself having to button my lip because I kept wanting to spill corny 70s pick up lines. "Body is a temple and I'm here to worship" level stuff. Sigh. Damned sexual peak. FOCUS.

So yeah, the band sound was fantastic, despite some microphone trauma. Enjoyed it and would buy a CD.

Broken Ohms was up last, and as last time seeing them, it was pretty awesome. They are comfortable, entertaining, fairly tight.... all good looking fellas, which doesn't hurt. Singer has a bit of a robert plant sound / look going, and also makes me think of Bruce Dickinson by times. Great, great songs. Yeah, yeah, 'Candy' is so not about me, but I still pretend it is. :P

Got to see The Incredible Handdrawn Octopus (Ohmsopus) Shirt .. awe-inspiring.

And got to see Terry Pulliam, only slightly less awe-inspiring.

Venue itself is intimate, fun. Has terrific potential. I want to see this place succeed.


IMPORTANT LINKS:
Sound Market Studios
Ghost of FM
Cicada (can't find a site!)
Big Game Hunt
Broken Ohms

No comments: