Sad news swirling around the internet today. The pieced together story thus far, based on hearsay and surmise, is that sometime on the weekend, my favourite bartender got punched and didn't go to emergency, but instead went home. He was found dead there yesterday evening. He was 44.
"My favourite bartender" may sound a bit like I'm a barfly or at least it's a relationship not worth too much lamentation if I'm not an alcoholic. And perhaps that's true. I certainly didn't know anything about Peter beyond his name and that he looked a bit like Arnold Schwarzenegar. Well, I did know he was level-headed, and kind, and had a wonderful dry sense of humour. He remembered people, and enjoyed them...a key quality in anyone in the service industry. He was also big enough to dissuade any stupid sucker punches... usually.
He worked at Gus's Pub, the 'neighborhood bar' nearest me at work. I remember when I started, I joked that part of the reason I wanted the job was to be close to Gus'. It has a great, special atmosphere, that bar, a funny mix of locals who've been going there a long time, mostly those who wander to the VLTs, and many of the young people who've discovered Gus' since they started hosting punk shows. It's comfortable. Like Cheers.
I wish I'd known Peter better. He seemed like an interesting fellow, and there was a lot to him beyond what I saw at Gus', I'm sure.
Thoughts and condolences to his family, friends and loved ones... and all those, like me, who will miss his humour and welcoming smile.
No comments:
Post a Comment