And so my new year... the REAL new year, when the haze of holiday has been left behind and we're back to our grind... begins on a note of sweet domesticity. The flush of a "project" hangs over January as Sean and I prepare our new flat to move into, and I revel in the June Cleaver moments of making lunches and doing laundry and playing house. This Saturday we paint, filling our flat with friends old and new, appetizers, merriment and scintillating rich colours: butter, grass, deep red, and a dazzling shade of blue called Jazz. The latter will fulfill a suggestion of Sean's that we paint a simple square in each room in a colour that is nowhere else; it can be a game, or just a conversation starter. I believe he is more brilliant than Debbie Travis can ever hope to be.
Our spare room will be our Hobby Room where our guitars (and Maddie's assorted percussion pieces including bongos) will reside in harmony with craft supplies and our "home gym". Maddie's room will be the Quintessential Ballerina Girly Room with icy pink stripes alternating with pale lilac and white, overstrewn with daisies.
Lots of Marmee-style delights await me... a dishwasher, and washer / dryer combo; oodles of cunning built-ins; and the joy of an apartment with doors to the outside. And a BBQ spot! Eventually this 50s housewife facade will peel off, and I will be messy ol' hard-to-get-along-with me again, but for now, I'm nesting with the vigor of a 9-month knocked up expectant mother. Bring on the sewing!
1 comment:
Bring on the sewing? Bring on the After Eight mints and low-budget porn.
Post a Comment