20.11.05

Happy Birthday Roger Stone

Went to the Parade of Lights last night. 75,000 others had the same idea. Little crowded. You'd think with that many people it would have been warmer. It was a nice parade...long! But nice. Maddie enjoyed it from the comfort of her car seat. It struck me how funny it is that we all go with these portable seats and accoutrements. It's another way we developed country citizens maintain our territorial sense of personal space. As a defensive protective mom, I did some jostling with my neighbor to ensure my kid got the same access to curb as her three mini demons.

After dropping off Maddie for a Nana-Grampa sleepover, Sean and I took advantage of a seized free Saturday night by searching out the apparently ONLY bar in the city with no cover charge: O'Carroll's. Our selectivity paid off dearly: we wound up with a $55 bill for our three double drafts each and sauteed mushroom snack. Anyway, we settled in on arrival and enjoyed some joyful tribute music. We had a nice discussion about whether the dismissal of cover bands is a "youth" trait; when you get older, IMO, you develop a greater appreciation for hearing familiar music performed with delight and quality. Anyhow, Roger Stone and Dave Dobson ripped through a set with great songs like Sloop John B, Under the Boardwalk, Ring of Fire, Farewell to NS, etc. It was comfortable, warm, happy, not overly crowded... a nice evening. Plus, we got cake cause it was Roger Stone's birthday.

AND... the bathrooms at O'Carrolls are a dream. Sigh.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just for the record, since skimming strangers blogs has become a part of my daily routine since I have this 2 week stretch of almost total unemployment, my blogishthing is www.wayemason.com fair is fair after all. Lisa, Sean, I am readin' your blogs too, so consider this an invite as well...

I have to go do my one hour of work for the day, so I can then clean the kitchen and be ready for my shows at 2pm.

cr8tiveCandy said...

Waye, I dunno how your blog commenting works! I just tried and it said I had to be logged in... and... I didn't see how to do that!

Curious.

Anonymous said...

Comments are on now. I had them off/you had to register because I am worried about a bunch of no records hip hop type people coming on and making comments about how "I owe them money". I will cross that bridge when I set fire to it, I guess

Anonymous said...

fixed for firefox, but not for IE 5.1 for Mac. Does that matter? I am manually editing the .css files because want to understand it at that level, which maybe is foolish in 2005. ;)

cr8tiveCandy said...

I wholeheartedly support manually adjusting your CSS...even though I am too lazy to do it myself.

Anyone who is using IE 5.1 on mac still deserves what they get.