20.8.05

Stayner's Bobble Head Waiter

Went to Stayner's last night for a chill, early evening. The Hopping Penguins were playing, and the appys were calling. Sweet ska & carbs with dip.... mmmmm.

So the waiter appears out of thin air, whipping menus down and asking drink orders. With a momentary brain seizure, I can't remember whether they have Propellor or Garrison on tap. I start to ask (somewhat unfocussed), "I don't remember, do you have on tap Propellor or Garris..."

My head is turned away when I start, and at this point, I turn my head toward the very tall waiter's waist, only he's bent down and his head is startlingly close: "GARRISON, YOU SAID?"

GAH! As soon as he disappears to get the order I'm in hysterics. It is very startling to turn one's head and discover a face where you didn't expect one. I can't explain exactly what struck me so particularly funny, but for the rest of the night, the waiter, like the fog, came on little cat feet, and kept appearing silently and unexpectedly, sending me into fresh fits of hysterics.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He was fascinating, as far as waiters go. If he was a painting, he would be called "Timid Man Enters Service Industry for First Time". When I asked for our bill, he half-apologized as he scurried off for it. Since we were long done eating and could have been staying for another beer or two (not to mention that you had half a beer left), an apology was certainly out of place. He made me feel guilty for asking for the bill, darn it. I wish him increased comfort in his newfound role.

cr8tiveCandy said...

Stealthy and low key. Remember that episode of Star Trek with The Traveller? I think that was him.

Anonymous said...

That might be so--according to my 18-volume guide to Star Trek, the Traveller also had esteem issues.