16.8.05

Trip back in time

I should post so much about my vacation weekend. The darling dollhouse of a cottage with all the cunning storage, watching Danny Deckchair on a little tv, the joyous realization that sometimes it's just nice to be surrounded by wild tangly weeds and rural fields, the relaxed reassurance that in a house of four adults I am not solely responsible for the well being of my little girl.

But I'll focus on Louisburg. For some reason, I wasn't really able to "get into" it as much as I wanted to... I love period costumes in general so it was strange. I guess unlike Ross Farm and Black Creek Pioneer Village I didn't get drawn into tableaux or activities... that may have been an effect of our approach more so than the way the fort is run. But then, on the map they gave us going in, there was no description of "buffet supper laid out for 4 here", or "forge demo at 3:30" or whatever. Maybe we were just off in our timing. And of course, there was the food issue. First of all, sampling the food is an essential part of any experience in my mind... and secondly, if I don't have a regular meal when I expect to, I'm not a happy camper. So just having dry bread and an apple turnover for lunch=cranky Candy.

Honestly, you'd think I was a starvation survivor... if you've seen me, you know that AIN'T the case!!

Anyhow, in the few moments I was able to focus on trying to imagine life in the 1700s, I really enjoyed it. No power, no cars. Life short, riskier, less sterile. In that little community, living on top of each other, confronted more closely with all the realities we try to sanitize today: poverty, dirt, stink, shit, disease, death. Were their lives worse? I won't romanticize too much. Naturally! They were 'nasty brutish and short.' But... worse? I don't know. It seems likely they packed as much feeling into their short lives as we do.

No comments: