1.8.05

Blood will tell

It is frightening for the child of an alcoholic to admit the last few times downtown I have gotten a tad too tipsy. The first time I brilliantly accosted Mike Campbell (Remember me?? You let me use one of your pictures one time!! --my equivalent of "I carried a watermelon??") at Ginger's and sadly didn't retain nearly enough of a fantastic Stephen Poltz set.

Last night I was at the Al Tuck Quintet show, completely digging the feeling that in that room I was at most two degrees of separation away from just about anyone of note on the Hali music scene. I <3 Gus's. Tuck was in great form, and the dream band were on (although it strikes me that Benn Ross is a bit wasted in this kind of situation).

BUT... sadly I had spent the day babysitting my best friend's two kids and facing up to my UTTER LACK of motherly patience. How has my own child survived this long? I am not fit. Anyway, I wound up the longest seven hours of my life with a ripping headache, so threw on a good cleavage dress and headed down, tossing back a bottle of beer in about 5 minutes and then ridiculously and mistakenly agreeing to split a pitcher with my SO. Bad. BAD idea. Monumentally bad. Had to leave before midnight lest I truly embarrass myself, so missed Plaskett taking the stage to lead a few.

Wandered up North enjoying the fresh air and the detachment of being drunk. Tottered over to Willow to discover where this cache of artists with a crawl space gallery might be located (but being by church, I was actually up too far, so didn't see the house). Made it safely home to SO's apartment (recklessly unzipping my dress under my cardigan about a block before getting there) and passed out, although I was woken later both by his return home and by his loud ass neighbors having a backyard party at 4:30 am.

Debating whether to brave the gallery show opening tonight, to try to overcome the feeling that it is really just for people they know and I'd be intruding. Meh. If it was actually not in a house... I dunno!!

3 comments:

swac said...

Funny, I was contemplating the Tuck show, but I too spent much of the day chasing around a 2, 4 and 8 year old (my sister's kids, in town for the week), and by midnight it was time to say bonne reves. And I knew Plaskett would probably be there too...I'm an idiot.

On the bright side, I did make it to the Team Willow/Gallery Deluxe Gallery opening on Monday, so there's something to be said for a good night's sleep.

cr8tiveCandy said...

If the show is still up, might try for Sunday... they do advertise 12-5 hours then.

Don't let babysitting hold you back! The key is beer.. oh yeah... too much beer... uh... nm.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.