24.9.09

Phone systems

We have a provoking phone system at work. Provoking to people who call, that is, not so much us. We can't just "put calls through" as seems to be standardly accepted of organizations our size. This leads to us handing out reams of direct lines and annoying people by asking them to call back. Ok, I work for a charity. We have a workable if annoying system, and most people, even the annoyed ones, understand that we don't choose to direct resources that way.

Now, my DOCTOR's office has no excuse. You call and sit through a droney lecturing wah wah wah of "if you want test results, call this number, if you want to book an appt with this particular doctor, call here, LISTEN CAREFULLY OPTIONS HAVE CHANGED" blah blah blah. NO EXCUSE. When I call a doctor's office to book an appt, I expect that ONCE IN A WHILE a human will answer. I expect that the first option will be to book an appointment, push one.

Ok, I know why it's not. Everyone would push one to ask their questions, and yes, that can get annoying, and yes, customer service sucks, especially in the high pressure doctor's office business. But suck it up. You chose to be a medical secretary. Talking to patients is part of that.

Answer the goddamned phone.

1 comment:

Matt Byron said...

I know all about phone systems...phones have been my life line and livelihood for the last 10 years! They are seriously ridiculous sometimes. Really make you wonder how many of the annoying functions and system "bugs" are were actually intentional... Je-zoo!