25.4.08

My damn folk song

Yeah, that's right, I wrote a folk song. It ain't beautiful, and it will never be recorded or anything, but the spirit seized me, and amazingly demanded that I not write my typical blank verse poetry. Perhaps I am filled with the particular brand of heartache that requires rhyme and a country twang.

If filled with enough drink, I would likely sing a verse or two of this for you. Strong drink, but you're buying. And FYI, it is NOT a country song. Nosir. It's folk. So sez I.

However How

Hello face, in my mirror
Let’s what we see here,
A few more wrinkles, not surprising
Life’s way of compromising

If you stay, I will try, but
I won’t lay down and die
Try to hold me in the now
Got to be me, however how.

However how, however how
What it takes I don’t know
However how, however how
Try to stay in the flow

I thought your love was so safe
But I guess I was mistaken
Thought I’d be the one to chafe
But my aloofness was all fakin’

Now you’re living a dream,
That you’ve had since you were little
How can I hold you back,
But can I play second fiddle?

However how, however how
What it takes I don’t know
However how, however how
Try to stay in the flow

I want flowers, I want songs
I want praise and affection
But I want you most of all
Seems you are my predilection

So can I compromise,
Can I hold you any longer?
If you go will I stop,
or will I grow much stronger?

Little bird singing out
in my backyard pine tree
Can you help me at all,
I’m not sure I can find me….

However how, however how
What it takes I don’t know
However how, however how
Try to stay in the flow

No comments: