Far be it from me to diss a worthy charity, BUT... some charity in Halifax apparently has created the dream home to end all lottery dream homes (I could only wish). I haven't laid eyes on it but this is what I've heard:
It's ridiculously huge
The taxes are 12,000 dollars
It has an obscene amount of bathrooms and a room that has only an antique style bathtub in it.
It has 9 heating zones
It is a mere breezeway away from the next megahome.
So, essentially, it is a complete glorification of the live-beyond-anyone's-means consumerist dream, and the person who wins it will be forking out cash hand over fist on taxes, power, water and upkeep. oh, and, it's far enough out of the city to necessitate a car, so add gasoline to that list. Whose dream home is that? With the money all that would cost they could have renovated anywhere from 2-4 modest REAL homes closer to city limits... rebuilt them to ensure energy efficiency, maximum space usage and fresh design, and still come out ahead.
Augh.
2 comments:
I've heard some ladies at work talking about it and they said it's pretty ugly to boot! I bought a ticket on a prefab home for CNIB the other day but I don't want to win it. Nor do I want the car. I just want the $100 early bird prize.
We (Sean and I) bought tickets on the CNIB place last year... and we really wanted to win it.
Then I sold my car and forgot the tickets in the dash. I hope we did not actually win it.
Post a Comment