Last night we had supper at ye olde Split Crow, that venerable Halifax institution. It was wing night, but I forgot and ordered shark. I've had the shark there before and it has invariably been good... i'd had a good low fat eating day to that point so I felt pretty virtuous about my shark and rice.
The shark tasted like it had been soaked in perm solution. Really. It was the most horribly nasty taste imaginable, and I'm just that stupid that I had three bites to be SURE I wasn't just imagining it. I flagged down our curly mopped waitress and sent it right back, remembering the Wing Night as I did, so I asked for six wings instead (I had tucked away my rice before sending the shark back).
The wings were pasty and ickily non-crispy. Who makes soft wings?? WTF? Altogether, a disappointing evening at what used to be one of my favourite places, back in the day.
On the other hand, the night before, Sean and I ducked into YFM to escape the rain, and discovered it was burger night, where the second burger platter ordered was only 2 bucks. Their veggie burger was not dry, it was tasty, and their fries were supremo (not quite Nail & Kneecap, but then, that's asking a bit much).
Am I eating out too often? Yes, indubitably, but in my defense, Sean's dad was down and we were eating out to entertain him. Honest.
1 comment:
It's "up"--when someone from Sydney goes to Halifax, they are going up to Halifax, not down to Halifax! Disregard all conventional geography. Think totem poles and paternalism.
Post a Comment