28.6.10

To be or not to be

I think I'm at my own Hamlet moment. "Whether tis  nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of perhaps investing more in a relationship that may in fact lead nowhere, or to take up arms against a sea  of potential trouble and hightail it out of Dodge before shit goes down." Or something like that.

Is it just my baggage and fear and self-doubt that leads me to assume that eventually -- in a week, a month, a year -- the Princess will appear and suddenly Not Just A Floozie will not be enough? Or can I claim wisdom from experience? Is it better to suck the marrow from life and hurl myself over a foreseen cliff? Or wisdom to forgo the rush and prevent the fall?

Is it ultimately better for him to be set free now, with skills and confidence, to go find a princess and true Young Love? Am I selling myself short?

Am I coward to stay? Or a coward to go?

This stumbling block appeared much too early. If I may attempt a Zelda metaphor, we tried for the master sword with only one pendant in hand: Certain failure.

So his mother does not want him to move, and he doesn't want to move, and his pseudo mother makes me uncomfortable. It seems like we're heading down a narrowing  alley to a dead end, doesn't it? I only know one relationship progression pattern, and at my age, and yes, the difference does tell here, six months to move to a next stage isn't really such a short time.

However, I started this off expecting nothing beyond the next week, then beyond the next month. If his impulsive question drove me to stare at further horizons, that's no one's fault but mine, the one with the experience to recognize ill-thought-out impulse when it embraces her.

No amount of dieting will make me 15 years younger, or lithe, or long-legged. No amount of exercise  will make me a Princess.  The only question is whether I wait for the natural conclusion or pre-empt the ending with one of my own.

Sigh.

No comments: