17.8.09

the mutability of self

Things that define me:

  • I endorse diversity. I am not comfortable with racism, sexism, discrimination of any kind.
  • I am anti-violence. Fighting doesn't impress me. When friends get into bar fights, I leave, or if I've been drinking, I throw myself in the middle and try and nag people into stopping.
  • I am a feminist, a proud independent woman. When I wait on a man (or a woman) I expect them to know that it is because I like them. I expect appreciation for this, and it won't be every time.
  • I am the child of an alcoholic. Not since university have I hung around with anyone who regularly goes on three or four day tears. I know the shit that can (and likely will) result.
  • I have been born and bred almost specifically to be very comfortable (at least for a while) in dysfunctional relationships. If Mr. Entirely Wrong is in the room, I'll find him, and probably fall into the 'have-to-have-him' zone. I have to be vigilant about that.

Just felt the need to remind myself of these things. It is important that, whatever happens, you don't lose too much of yourself.

No comments: