14.9.06

Not a Knitting Blog

Being a sporadic knitter at best, I cannot justify a knitting blog. But after doing some surfing yesterday among the blogs of the Ladies Who Knit, I am envious and intimidated. I have felt smugly superior about growing up in a knitting household and having extensive experience with so many needle arts, but really, let's face it. I'm a dabbler. I don't have a truckload of FO's (I think that stands for finished objects... I'm learning a new language). I don't have a 'stash' of which I can be proud... mostly it's 20 year old leftover acrylic from my mom. I've no interest in spinning, really. I rarely do a gauge test and don't block.

I have to face the hard fact that, in this new world of specialization and professionalization, I am a novice knitter. A bitter pill, my friend. A bitter, bitter pill.

Do I buckle down and try harder? And with what time will I do this?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think if there's something you really want to make, then you should give it a try. But don't feel bad if you aren't super productive. Most knitters probably aren't and no one is going to judge you for it ;) I happen to have a lot of time on my hands so that's why I knit a lot. You could always join a knitting group or a knit-a-long to find motivation. Or maybe set aside a time once a week to work on one project.

Personally I think having a stash is overrated. Buy what you need, use it up, then by some more! But don't look under my bed, because I do have a stash.

This comment is almost as long as your entry. Sorry!

cr8tiveCandy said...

Are you in the knitting group that meets at Uncommon Grounds? i was going to go to check it out, but now, gosh... i'm intimidated.
My neighbor/bus buddy is a Serious Knitter. (ok, not serious about much, but knitting, yes!)

Unknown said...

No I've never been, but I don't think you need to be intimidated. From what I've heard they are a nice, welcoming bunch. A lot of times things just look complicated but really aren't.

I tried to have a regular drink and knit night, but I had trouble getting people to show up.

cr8tiveCandy said...

I know... I'm a sucky joiner and a worse organizer of such things... my free nights tend to be sporadic. But it is appealing to have such a thing to go to... once in a wee. you know.